In normal times the workforce of Gray's Pottery totalled about eighty, the vast majority being female. Edward Gray knew them all personally and he was very much of a father-figure. He took a personal interest in each one and many went to him with their problems. Concerned at one stage with the number of colds, which he thought might be due to a vitamin deficiency, he purchased a large quantity of malt and cod-liver oil extract, which he distributed. He was much loved for kindly eccentricities such as this and which showed how much he appreciated and cared for those working so conscientiously for the company. Photographs of Works' outings reveal the happy relationship between himself and those who worked with him. It is not surprising they were known as 'Gray's Angels', a name coined by Lady Cripps during a wartime visit to the Works.
Edward Gray was a very 'clubbable' man, with a strong sense of duty to society. He was in the first place an active member of every association connected with the pottery industry. When he had been established in The Potteries for less than ten years, he addressed The Ceramic Society on 'The Encouragement of Art in The Potteries' and proposed that a central art gallery and a central museum should be set up in Stoke-on-Trent, the five museums then existing being 'too small and cramped, and altogether too scattered'. This museum, he maintained, should be directly connected with the Schools of Art, with easy access for students. To have one single museum to visit would be much more convenient for pottery and other designers who lacked the time to visit one small museum after another. This dream was realised in 1956, with the creation of Stoke-on-Trent Museum and Art Gallery, now called The Potteries Museum and Art Gallery, based in Hanley. At the same time, he urged that an Art Section should be formed within The Ceramic Society. The printed record of this lecture and of the discussion which followed, concludes in these terms:
As the result of this discussion an Art Section of The Ceramic Society has been formed, of which Major Frank Wedgwood has accepted the Presidency.
The Transactions of The Ceramic Society, Vol XVII, Session 1917-18, pp159-180.