Unfortunately, nothing remains (in 2017) of any of the three Gray’s Pottery production sites used during the life of the company. The first, in Back Glebe Street, Stoke-upon-Trent is a car park. The second, Glebe Works in Mayer Street, Hanley, was redeveloped many years ago and is currently occupied by a motor repair works although it is possible that the terraced house No 29, still standing, was part of the company’s premises. The third, and largest, works were in Whieldon Road, Stoke-upon-Trent. It’s original purpose prior to Gray moving there in 1933 is unclear although it is likely to have been, in part, for activities associated with the adjacent Trent & Mersey Canal wharf. It had one bottle oven and an extension, referred to as the Coronation extension, was added to the front in 1953. Portmeirion moved the Gray’s operation to London Road soon after taking control in the early 1960s and, although the low factory buildings were demolished in the 1970s, the extension saw various new uses over the following years, including occupation by Royal Doulton and Churchill China. It was eventually demolished in the summer of 2011.

The extension soon after completion with Joan Bailey (née Gray) at the entrance with her son Nigel.
Edward Gray outside the entrance
Robin Gray outside the entrance
The building stood alone in a sea of dereliction, prior to demolition in 2011.
Scroll to Top